Medical Clinic – Village Experience Mbaruk Medical Dispensary


The first two days of our time in Nakuru were intense- to say the least. We arrived at the new medical clinic in Mbaruk in the morning to see a line of close to 100 patients waiting for us to set up. The majority of those waiting were women – with all of their children in tow.

We worked under the guidance of Nurse Eileen to set up the consultation rooms and the pharmacy. The council for the village assisted us in keeping order and sending patients in. Ann Marie, Lisa, and Lynn worked the pharmacy while nurses Hilary, Chris, and Rachael saw patients one after another until 6pm.

We had many cases of asthma, malaria, arthritis pain, dehydration, cuts, skin rashes, and worms. The team was no less than INCREDIBLE treating the patients and equipping them with medicine and instructions to treat their ailments.
One moment in particular that stopped all of us in our tracks was when a teenage girl was carried to the clinic screaming and crying because her older brother had been killed in a road accident the day before. She hadn’t stopped crying for 24 hours, so her neighbors carried her to the clinic in hopes that we could help. But how do you cure grief? How do you assure this young woman that her family would survive now that the main bread winner was gone? I was so moved to see the team comfort her, rehydrate her, and stay with her until she was able to calm down and sleep. She needed someone to take care of her so that she could face her new reality when she woke up. I don’t think I will ever forget this moment.
The next morning the nurses started seeing patients bright and early while the pharmacists made a run into town to pick up specific medicines we would need to dispense on this day. Once again, as word spread, there were hundreds of people showing up for medical services. We were determined to see everyone and turn no one away, so we enlisted the help of more translators (including our faithful driver, Danson) and worked as fast as we could.
At the end of the 2 day clinic, we had treated over 350 patients. The team was exhausted, but on cloud 9 after looking back at all that was accomplished. As we walked through the former IDP camp (now known as Nawamu Village) I could see the joy on our volunteers faces as they recognized the same people they had just treated. Now they were able to see their homes, meet their families, and understand more about the situation that brought them to the camp in the first place.
It was a great experience and one that thoroughly energized our team to want to come back and do more!