The Village Experience began in April of 2008, but we formed the idea long ago. As the team traveled through the Great Rift Valley of Kenya in a time of civil crisis, witnessed the effects of the LRA in Northern Uganda, spent time with the mentally disabled in India, watched women beg for food in the streets of Ethiopia, and stood amidst the wall separating Israel and Palestine, our desire to give back and do more constantly surfaced.
The need was there: to educate, to teach, to understand, to share, to break down barriers, to relate…how could we accomplish this? The solution? Create an organization through which people can become directly involved in uplifting impoverished communities throughout the world – The Village Experience.
Since 2008, The Village Experience and our non-profit, The Village Cooperative have made great strides. Here area just a few examples:
- TVE has organized and led more than 30 trips to 9 different countries including Kenya, South Africa, Ethiopia, Thailand, Uganda, Israel, Jordan, Guatemala, and Haiti.
- Over 200 passengers from 15 U.S. states and 3 countries have joined TVE on trips.
- TVE currently supports over 30 artisan cooperatives in 25 countries.
- TVE has donated over $15,000 to domestic and international non-profits as part of our mission of moving forward by giving back.
- TVC has donated over $300,000 to our partners in Kenya, Thailand, Guatemala, and Haiti.
- TVC has worked in partnership with our communities in Kenya to start 12 small businesses including motorbike taxi company, party rental business, soap and basket-making, organic farming, and handicraft center.
- Together, TVC and TVE opened The Village Experience Medical Clinic serving over 120,000 rural Kenyans in the Nakuru area in 2011.
- TVC opened a Nursery School for 150 children in Geera Village in Mbita, Kenya in 2011.
- TVC worked in partnership with The Lake Nakuru Lodge to convert an IDP Camp for 255 families into a thriving eco-village in Nakuru – land, new homes, fruit trees, small businesses, and access to the new medical clinic in 2010.
- TVC rebuilt The University of Fondwa in Haiti after the devastating earthquake of January 2010 in partnership with our clients, Off the Mat into the World.
- Together, TVC and TVE opened The Village Experience Artisan Workshop with the Baan Than Namchai Foundation in Takapua, Thailand in 2012.