The Village Experience began in April of 2008, but we formed the idea long ago. As the team traveled through the Great Rift Valley of Kenya in a time of civil crisis, witnessed the effects of the LRA in Northern Uganda, spent time with the mentally disabled in India, watched women beg for food in the streets of Ethiopia, and stood amidst the wall separating Israel and Palestine, our desire to give back and do more constantly surfaced.
The need was there: to educate, to teach, to understand, to share, to break down barriers, to relate…how could we accomplish this? The solution? Create an organization through which people can become directly involved in uplifting impoverished communities throughout the world – The Village Experience.
Since 2008, The Village Experience and our non-profit, The Village Cooperative have made great strides. Here area just a few examples:
- TVE has organized and led more than 125 trips to countries all over the world including Kenya, Ethiopia, Uganda, Thailand, Cambodia, India, Israel, Jordan, Guatemala, Ecuador, and Haiti.
- Over 250 passengers from 20 U.S. states and 5 countries have joined TVE on trips.
- TVE has supported over 30 artisan cooperatives in 25 countries.
- TVE has donated over $25,000 to domestic non-profits as part of our mission of moving forward by giving back.
- TVC has donated over $1 million to our partners in Kenya, Thailand, India, Guatemala, and Haiti.
- Together TVE and TVC has opened medical clinics, schools, community centers, cyber cafes, artisan workshops, and small businesses with our partners in order to create jobs, empower local communities, and improve the standard of living in all of the places where we work.
- TVE launched the Opportunity Collection (an exclusive, high end fair trade line sourced in Kenya and India) in 2012 in order to further support our partners and bring awareness to the idea of fair trade and artisan craftsmanship.
- TVE and TVC have been featured in the media including Indianapolis Star, FOX 59, Indianapolis Monthly, Indianapolis Business Journal, NUVO, Trekkity.com, Immersion Travel Magazine, AFAR online, Delta Sky Magazine, Origin Magazine, and many more!